With the weather turning colder and lots of earth plaster to get dried out our newly installed woodburner has come into its own over the past couple of weeks.
If there is a better way of turning a house into a home than lighting a fire I would like to know what it is. The main reason we are having to keep it lit at the moment is for drying the earth plaster, which is turning out to be a pretty major task, but it also helps keep the chill at bay when you are working in the building.
It was quite exciting seeing the first puff of smoke coming out of the chimney. The firewood used to warm the buildings here at Swan Barn Farm is all produced as a part of the sustainable management carried out in our local coppice woodlands and as such is a very environmentally freindly way of keeping us warm. All of the buildings here are heated using wood, as part of the project a new biomass boiler has been installed to provide both the basecamp and the new building with heating and hot water, this will be fired using logs as well, so we have also had to put a bit of work into getting the firewood shed stocked recently.
The new fire has also been helping us to dry the paint on our windows.
We decided some time ago that allthough we were really pleased with the eco credentials of our triple glazed windows, their appearance left much to be desired. A good few coats of paint was decided on as the appropriate remedy. Colour is a very personal thing, and suffice to say there was some discussion amongst the team about what colour we should go for. A consensus decision fetched up with them being a sort of light grey, I am not completely sure that made anyone particularly happy, but once the colour of the building starts to soften and grey down I am hoping it will look nice.
We decided on a water based environmentally freindly paint, great stuff, but a bit tricky to get to dry well at this time of year, and as for getting the primer to adhere to the windows, well the less said about how tricky that proved to be the better!
Keeping the damp weather off the damp paint was achieved in the end by use of some novel screens made of plastic sheeting and offcuts of batten, Heath Robinson would be proud. Refitting the handles and other furniture after they had all been out for painting was a bit of a jigsaw puzzle, but Dennis figured it all out it the end.
It was a really tough job, and I have to say a huge thankyou to Chris, Peter, Dennis and Mike, they have put loads of time into the windows, I hope they are all pleased with how they have turned out.